Date:
Sun, 9 Sep 2001 17:31:29 EDT
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Power Saver makes sense on a laptop running off a battery, or if you are
> administering a large network with tens or hundreds of monitors and hard
> drives. But for the single end user, while this feature might save you a
> few pennies of electricity it is VERY hard on your hard drive and monitor.
> The worse thing you can do to a hard drive, or a monitor is to turn them
> off and on all day. But don't take my word on it...IBM did a five year
> study and a  white paper on this and concluded for administrators, that it
> is a crap shoot... what you save now in electricity, you will pay for later
> in short component lifespan. As an end user I would rather pay a few extra
> pennies now to preserve my hard drives and monitors for as long as possible.
>
> Rode
> The NOSPIN Group

Hi,
  For the other side of the coin, I have had a monitor fail, and actually
CATCH FIRE while I was using it. Thankfully I was present when this happened
and extinguished it. Needless to say, I NEVER leave a monitor on and
unattended anymore (even in the power saving mode). While this may be an
extremely rare occurrance, there is much more than just the cost of
electricity or hardware involved here....'nuff said.

Just my .02 worth,
Peter Hogan