From:
Dennis Noble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Feb 1999 20:20:25 -0600
This could be caused by several things. It could be a conflict with one of
the other components, bad or non PC100 compliant memory, or a bad or
missmarked CPU. The first thing that I would do is try the install with only
the basics installed (ie. video card, mem, hdd). If this works then you can
add the other components after setup is complete and you may have no other
problems or you should at least be able to isolate the problem.

If the above does not work, you may try running the system with the memory
set at a slower speed ie 66MHz. Finally, if this still does not work, try
running the system with the system clocked at 300MHz. I had a customer with
what I think was a remarked K6-2 300 that was marked as a 350. This chip was
painted on the back to look like it was metal then the information was
painted in grey. I believe that most of the newer chips have the information
etched onto the chip itself.

Finaly, I have seen a PCChips, PC100 MB that was unable to run with the bus
set at 100MHz with the cache enabled. The only way that I could get this MB
to run a K6-2 300 with the cache enabled at 300MHz was to set it at 75X4. I
ended up taking this CPU back and use it on an ATrend MB at 100X3 w/o any
problems. Good luck and let me know how it works out.

Dennis Noble
Computer Parts & Upgrades
Phone: 512-949-2051 (Corpus Christi)
Toll Free 888-918-5467