From:
John Hilton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Feb 2001 16:27:53 +1000
Spinrite does seems like a very useful and unique(?) program.
I would like to get a copy, but at $89US it is a bit pricey for home use.
Are there any cheaper alternatives out there?

Thanks

John

>Date:    Tue, 6 Feb 2001 05:55:38 -0800
>From:    Jon Persinger -DIGEST <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Scandisk
>
>Defrag/Hard Disk problem:
>
>John:
>
>Take a look at the following link for information on "SpinRite":
>
>http://grc.com/spinrite.htm
>
>If anything will fix the error, SpinRite can.
>
>Your last resort is to make a full backup (if you can), make a Win95a boot
disk with scandisk, etc. on it,  reformat the >drive, and reinstall the
operating system.  Unless you are comfortable with this though, I would not
recommend it.

>Also worth mentioning is that you'll need to keep an eye on that problem.
Hard drives will get more bad sectors over
>the years, but very often this indicates an impending drive failure.  If
you continue to get bad sectors on intermittent
>scans, I would replace that drive ASAP.
>
>Hope this helps.
>
>Jon Persinger
>
> > When I run windows 95 defrag, it says the disk has errors and to run
> > scandisk.
> > Then scandisk (with thorough option) cannot find any problems.
> > The microsoft knowledge base has an article on this and says to make
> > changes to scandisk.ini and run scandisk from native dos,
> > however this has the same result.
> >
> > I have tried a number of freeware scanning and defragging programs,
> > but they either dont detect an error or they lockup the system
> > (when they reach the suspect spot on the disk) and give the
> > dreaded blue screen of death.
> >
> > I wouldn't mind bad sectors being marked so, but I need to be able to
use
> > the rest of the disk without these problems. Any Ideas?
> >
> > John Hilton

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml