From:
Larry Fisk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Feb 2001 19:15:07 -0700
David:
 Before you junk the printers, clean the round bar that the ink carts. slide
on
with paper towels and something like electronics spray cleaner or even WD-40
spray it on the towel first then clean the bar.
Then apply a very thin coat of high quality
light oil, like sewing machine or gun oil to the bar. I have also used
silicone spray.
Hp says don't .....but I have done so for years with good results.
the "gear grinding noise" may actually be gear grinding noise from the bar
dragging so
hard that the plastic gears slip. The printer sometimes will give a few more
months of service. HP's printer support forums are sometimes  helpful:
http://forum.support.hp.com:5050/main_dj_index.html#Current