From:
"g.Computer9f" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Mar 2008 16:49:15 -0500
I built one last year and am very happy with it.  I researched parts and collected them over about 2 months time.  I did not get the lastest and greatest - I got the best quality of the prior year.  Every item was chosen for a reason (quality or feature), after a LOT of research.  My parts list:

LianLi aluminum case with 2 120mmBallFans
EPoX 9NPA+Sli Mobo
AMD 64 Venice CPU
1GB Mem 512Mx2 D400 Corsair TWINX1204-3200C2   ---- (I would get 2GB today)
InWin 460W PSU w/120mmFan
PNY NVIDIA GeForce 6600 PCI Express x 16 VideoCard   -----(I don't do games & such)
HDD1 Seagate 120GB  IDE ATA system disk 2 partitions    -----(1:OS & Pgms, 2:Data)
HDD2 WD Caviar 320GB 7K 8M backup disk 2 partitions   -----(1:C-drive images, 2:Backup data)
WinXP Home SP2 Retail $150 at Royal Discount   ---(so it's MINE)
LG LCD EnergyStar Monitor  1400:1
All on UPS 685AVR power regulator
Linksys hardware firewall & cable modem

I suggest staying away from the Intel vPro (fritz chip) and VISTA.  Microsoft is up to some nefarious stuff - remotely controlling your PC - even turning it on in the middle of the night - snooping (inventorying your hardware & software) & pooping (bringing everything "into compliance" - even to disabling your OS/apps & deleting your files) and then restoring it to its prior state (off, hibernate, etc) so you won't notice.  This intel chip is capable of this NOW and responds to a hardware "heartbeat" even when your pc is off (wired or wireless).  Microsoft is up to some serious stuff, just be aware.  This is not just Palladium "dusted off" - this is MS software married to Intel hardware - DRM on your entire computer.  DRM on Steroids!
Intel has a pdf for a white paper on this chip; it is directed at IT and corporations, but the capabilities are there, no matter where it is installed.  http://download.intel.com/products/vpro/whitepaper/crossclient.pdf?ppc_cid=EC2DSynQ11H08us_A

AnnaSummers