From:
Carroll Grigsby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jun 2002 09:46:44 -0400
On Wednesday 05 June 2002 07:53 am, Paul Williams wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Recently bought a new internal PCI modem which I believe to be 56K.
>
> Trouble is I don't have any driver disks and I don't know the
> manufacturer/make of modem.
>
> When I stick the modem in the PC and reboot, win 98 fails to be able to
> detect which type it is.
>
> How can I tell what make of modem this is so that I can get hold of the
> drivers ?
>
> Rgds

Paul:
You can get some hints by examining the card. Look for the FCC ID number and
the chipset manufacturer (who is probably not the same company that
manufactured the modem). You can identify the modem manufacturer by going to
www.fcc.gov/oet/fccid/. It might take some work to find the manufacturers'
websites -- PCBUILD has a list of hardware vendors that might help; if that
doesn't work, always remember that Google is your friend. If you don't have
any luck finding the modem manufacturer, try the chipset company. In fact,
you may find more current drivers there.
Regards,
Carroll Grigsby

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com