From:
Dean Kukral <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Jun 2012 17:05:29 -0500
On 6/18/2012 11:01 AM, Jacob Smith wrote:
> I fixed my hard drive problem, thank you for your help. But it got me
> wondering how Windows interacts with hard-drives. What does formatting do?
> How are directories stored? How is a file marked as deleted? How is a
> partition written to the disk? I do know a little of the physical
> architecture, I was just wondering about the data aspect.

I started trying to explain this, but I can't do it easily.

Formatting divides the platter's bits into a linked list of groups of
data.   The data that is not being used is linked together.  When a file
is created, links to the start of the file and the end of the file are
stored, and links are adjusted in the unused data to account for the
material being used in the file.  When a file is deleted, the starting
link of the file is added to the chain of unused data, as well as the
ending link.  No data is changed, but the operating system now considers
that area free space.  (This is why there are programs to write zeros
repeatedly to make sure all the data is gone for sensitive files.)

It's more than I can do to draw a picture here of how the links are
manipulated, but if you do a search in Wikipedia for "linked list" you
can find out more.

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml