From:
Joe Lore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jul 2003 16:45:55 -0400
Hi David,

Though you did not get a paper manual with your new system, you may have
gotten a manual indeed.  Companies are saving printing and shipping
costs by have the manual as a .PDF file on the main board driver disk.
Intel for one, for OEM 10 pack main boards does this.  They include one
in the retail boxed boards that sell for about $10 more.  Check your
driver disk for such a file.

They let you, the consumer print them out at your expense.

Actually, it's probably a conspiracy between the main board
manufacturers and the printer manufacturers...those printer cartridges
are not cheap.

Thanks and have a Great Day!

Joe Lore

==================================
Thank you, Howard and Larry, for the additional suggestions. I'll try
out the ideas as soon as my client returns from vacation, and I'll let
you know what I find.

I notice that Martha asked a motherboard question as well. Both Martha's
question and mine could have been resolved much more easily if we had
the manual, but that seems to be a scarce commodity.

Thanks to PC Build, I have a number of options for resolving my own
question. Carroll presented an amazingly long list of possible key
combinations. Others presented additional options and possibilities.

I bought a new computer two months ago. It was delivered without a mobo
manual. I don't know whether it got lost in the course of assembling the
computer - or whether it never existed.

This is very frustrating. My clients should not be expected to remember
where they keep manuals years later. The documentation should be easily
and readily available on-line, without difficulty. And if my own
situation regarding non-delivery of a manual is part of a trend, then it
certainly exacerbates future problems.

I'm not even sure I understand why such problems exist. Certain basic
aspects of the motherboard - such as my query about the key combination
to enter the BIOS setup, warning beeps, and possibly even information
about Martha's memory chip allocations - should be standardized. They
should not be based on the apparent changing whim of the manufacturer.

However, until that standardization does arrive, I certainly appreciate
the fact that I can rely on PC Build.

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml