From:
Michael C Soto <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Aug 2000 11:10:36 -0700
Hey Guys,

I'm serious now about buying a DVD drive, and I've been looking at my
selections. I just want to know what your's guys opinion about the Acer
DVP-1640A. It's a 16X DVD and 40X CD-ROM. I haven't been able to find any
reviews of it on the web, but its specs look OK. 512K Buffer, 1 year
warranty, and it comes with PowerDVD software decoder. It's $180. Best
Buy only carries 2 drives - this one and the I/O Magic MagicDVD 16X. I
have a distaste for I/O Magic, so this is about my best bet.

I do not really care to order online since there is a fairly good chance
I'll have to return, but I am open to any good DVDs. This is New
Technology for me, so any advice is welcome. I also care to use Linux, so
compatibility is an issue. It seems that DVD drives aren't "the rage"
right now, like Video cards and such. Reviews on DVD drives are sparse
and far between.

Also, Anybody have any opinions on the combo drives, that do both CD-RW
and DVD? The lowest I've seen these online is $220, and retail at Fry's,
$260. The only problem with these is all of them are relatively slow, 4X
DVD and 6X CDRW. I'm just thinking about getting the 16XDVD so I my
computer can be as futureproof as possible.

So, my question is, what do you guys think of the Acer 16X DVD?

FYI, I have a Pentium III 800EB, 128MB PC133 RAM, and a Geforce 256 w/
DDR (32MB)

Thanks guys!

- Hawk166_PWR (Michael Soto)
Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!