From:
Thomas Mayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Apr 2007 08:36:20 -0700
In addition, when I had problems with establishing a fully operational
home LAN, I used "Network Magic". It has a free fully operational trial
period which I think recently has been made made permanently free. It is
a very user friendly program. I also have two desktops and a laptop and,
also, when I visit my daughter who uses Network Magic, my laptop is
automatically tied into their LAN as a permitted visitor.

Visit www.networkmagic.com and decide if you want to at least give it a
trial.

Tom Mayer

David Gillett wrote:
> On 10 Apr 2007 at 2:07, Debbie wrote:
>

>> My computer, my husband's computer & our laptop are networked via a
>> Belkin router & all share a satellite internet connection. The desktop
>> PC's are hardwired & the laptop is wireless. The Belkin router is
>> password protected with security mode  WPA-PSK. I am running Windows
>> XP, SP2.
>>

>   That router configuration makes sure that only clients that have the
> password (Pre-Shared Key) can connect to the wireless, and that the wireless
> traffic is encrypted against eavesdropping.  It's a good choice for your
> situation, but shouldn't have any bearing on your problem.
>

>>  From the laptop I can access all shared folders in both mine & my
>> husbands's PC.
>>

>   So there's no problem with sharing between the machines *if the laptop
> initiates the connection*.  This is a good indication that all of the
> networking components are working fine.
>

>>  From my desktop PC  I can access shared folders in my husbands PC,
>> but not the laptop. I get the following message: "Laptop is not
>> accessible. You might not have permission to use this network
>> resource.  Contact the administrator to find out if you have access
>> permission. Network path not found."
>> (The above situation also applies to my husbands desktop PC; he can
>> access shared folders on my PC but not the laptop.)
>>

>> What do I need to do to make my out laptop accessible from both desktop PCs?
>>

>   You haven't said what OSes are on the various machines, and that *may*
> make a difference.  Assuming for the moment that it doesn't, there are three
> other things to check:
>
> 1.  Firewall on the laptop?
>   In my experience, this is the most common cause of "A can reach B, but B
> can't reach A" scenarios.
>
> 2.  User accounts and passwords?
>   If these aren't the same across machines, you may need to pick "as another
> user" and enter the laptop user account and password to connect with.
> (Since it works the other way, this is less likely.)
>
>   Other things to check are IPSEC policy (allow but not require encryption)
> and "Simple file sharing" (which I've never seen work).
>
> David Gillett

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>