From:
Richard Glazier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 May 2004 18:03:39 -0400
DHCP, NetBE and dependencies:

I have had DSL a short time.  My wife's computer refuses to connect on it.
My computer (very similar hardware and MB) works great.
!00% of all the hardware involved has been tested and is working.
I even went so far as a clean install of her OS (WinXP-Pro) on a blank
hard drive to "prove" everything works...  (Like a charm, OOB...)

On her actual (broken) installation,
I get the following error from Event Viewer:

>Event Type: Error
>Event Source: Service Control Manager
>Event Category: None
>Event ID: 7001
>Date:  5/7/2004
>Time:  5:24:51 PM
>User:  N/A
>Computer: HOME-QMMJZUJ296
>The DHCP Client service depends on the NetBT service which failed to start because of the following error:
>The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.
>
>For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

and right after that (time stamped the same)

>Event Type: Error
>Event Source: Service Control Manager
>Event Category: None
>Event ID: 7001
>Date:  5/7/2004
>Time:  5:24:51 PM
>User:  N/A
>Computer: HOME-QMMJZUJ296
>The TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper service depends on the NetBT service which failed to start because of the following error:
>The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.
>
>For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

I looked at all the Services listed above (drilled down in them)
and all their dependencies  are used by other services that
seem to be running...
The only one I can't find is NetBE as a specific service.

ipconfig /renew gives me "An error occurred while renewing interface
Local Area Connection : The system cannot find the file specified."

I tried netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt to reset the TCP/IP protocol.
I did an upgrade re-install (over-install) and it did no good.

Anything sound familiar, or any one with more ideas?

                TIA,   Rick Glazier

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com