From:
Doug Simmons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Feb 1999 10:24:47 -0500
>Paul Wittry wrote:
>> I have an old AMD 486DX4-120, running on a VLB motherboard. The
>> diskcontroller is a IK, KW-561, VL-Bus Super M/IO Card. One IDE HDD,
>> Seagate, model: ST3660A, and a Sony ADAPI/IDE CDROM Player/Reader.
>>
>> Before I go through all the trouble to take it down, can I install
>> another IDE HDD along with the Hardrive and CDROM that are already
>> installed?
Larry Atlow wrote

>If your I/O card has two channels (count the connectors) for IDE drives
>then you can easily add a second HD.

<snip>

>If you only have one channel on the I/O controller then you can't add a
>second hard drive unless you add another I/O controller or replace your
>existing one with a controller that does have two channels.

<snip>

Another option that is frequently available is an IDE controller on the
sound card to use with *CD Player Only*.  Many sound cards have the IDE
controller (watch out for incompatible proprietary CD interfaces on *very*
old sound cards!).  I generally use the sound card IDE for CD players to
leave open 4 interfaces for hard drives, zip drives CD-R/W or tape backup
units.

Doug Simmons

             to be posted to: [log in to unmask]