From:
"Joseph H. Bishop" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Feb 1999 05:32:53 -0500
Larry Atlow wrote:

> > Please can someone explain the difference between
> > shutting off a computer using the power switch, then
> > turning it back on, compared to pressing the reset
> > switch?

Hi Larry,
Another important reason to wait 10sec to repower the system if the
power off switch is used, is to give the hard drive/drives time to spin
down prior to reapplying power to them.  This will prevent damage to the
drives,,,,this was especially necessary with the old high speed SCSI drives.
Conventional wisdom these days for current drives is wait approx  5 sec before
power is reapplied to the system.
Hope this is helpful in explaining.
Joseph H. Bishop
PuterDoc