From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 May 2007 07:55:04 -0700
On 8 May 2007 at 12:54, Johnathan Abbott wrote:

> When I try to format my computer, it tells me that volume is being
> used in another process. Then it ask about dismounting something. What
> can I do to avoid this and just simply format my computer?

  The "process" that is using the drive is your OS, including the "format"
utility.  In order to be able to format the drive, you need to boot the
machine from some other drive -- historically this was usually a floppy,
although nowadays an OS install CD is probably a more common choice.  (Once
you format C:, you won't be able to boot from the hard drive unless/until
you install an OS.  Presumably that's what you want to do right after you
format it.)

David Gillett

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com