From:
"Larry A. Kaduce" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 May 2003 13:41:30 -0500
Jerry,

I also have Charter Pipeline in Minnesota and I am using a Linksys 4-port
router, which has been flawless in the 3-1/2 years on the system. For the
first few weeks, I tried Wingate and a couple other proxy connection sharing
programs and I've been kicking myself ever since that I didn't try the
router right from the start.

My cable modem is an older Motorola Surfboard SB2100 which plugs into the
uplink port of my router and I have two PCs, one Linksys Wireless Access
Point and one Cisco ATA 186 analog phone adapter plugged into the four
ports.

Using a router/switch like the Linksys, it has a built-in hardware firewall
so that the modem thinks that is the only PC connected to the system. It
automatically assigns DCHP addresses to the network computers so that they
can recognize each other for sharing files and printers without a second NIC
card.

I have used this with Win98SE, Win2K, WinXP and a combination of them all,
so I would highly recommend a multi-port router for what you are trying to
do. Forget the hub, as that will work but only one machine can access the
net at a time and network sharing is difficult at best.

Good luck,

Larry A. Kaduce