From:
John Chin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 May 1998 15:52:25 -0400
At 09:42 AM 5/30/1998 Michael A. Wosnick wrote:

>At 09:11 AM 5/30/98 -0400, you wrote to Nguyen Minh Luan  wrote:
>
>>I recommend you get a Pentium II when the prices
>>drop in July.
>
>Hi John,
>
>I read this comment with interest. Can you forecast why you think the PII
>prices will drop in July? Is there some newly announced chip being
>introduced that I missed?

Michael

Check out the INTEL "Road Map" at Tom's Hardware
Guide, at:

    http://www.tomshardware.com/irm298.html

which lists the following prices for July 1998:

    Pentium II 450 MHz  $780
    Pentium II 400 MHz  $590
    Pentium II 350 MHz  $430
    Pentium II 333 MHz  $320
    Pentium II 300 MHz  $210
    Pentium II 266 MHz  $160

and further that:

"At the end of June the Pentium II Xeon will be
launched at 400 MHz. The 450 MHz version
will soon be available too, together with the
Pentium II at 450/100 MHz. Both will be launched
on July 26, 1998. The Celeron at 333/66 Mhz with
128 kB on-die L2 cache will be launched on
September 13, 1998. . .

"The successor of the Pentium II at 100 MHz FSB
will be Katmai, starting to ship in Q1/99, initially at
450 MHz, then soon moving to 500 MHz. Katmai
will have the new MMX2 instruction set, which
includes double precision floating point SIMD (single
instruction multiple data) instructions. This new
instruction set will accelerate 3D graphics by a
significant amount, being superior to AMD's single
precision SIMD instructions used in the upcoming
K6-2. . ."

Regards,

John Chin