From:
John Morgan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Jan 1999 03:36:20 -0500
Depending on the age of your board, it may not support MMX chips.  Those are
split voltage chips, with the exception of C6 WinChips.  Your board probably
tops out at 200Mhz.  You'd be changing jumpers for external clock (now 50Mhz to
66Mhz), multiplier (now x2 to x3), and voltage (now 3.5V or so to split voltage
if using an Pentium, AMD, or Cyrix based MMX chip).  If it doesn't directly
support MMX due to not having the split voltage, you can use the WinChip.  Use
system board settings for a non-MMX Pentium 200 and the latest flash rom from
your system board manufacturer.  Note some old boards will mis-ID this chip as
a 486 but it will work fine.  If you don't have a manual for your system board,
or know the manufacturer, try Wim's Bios Page at www.ping.be/bios for
identification and new bios.

Harold E. Schumacher, Jr. wrote:

> Hello,
>
>         What would it take to upgrade a Pentium 100 (socket 7) to a Pentium
> 200 or even higher using the current socket 7 motherboard?  Is it as

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html