From:
Jeffrey Delzer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Mar 1999 17:03:34 -0600
Regarding using deltree to wipe out the Windows directory...

The context in which we're discussing this situation is that of giving
advice to others. Within that context, I believe it is valid to say
NEVER use deltree (as in, deltree \Windows) to try to solve system
problems, including instability, bloat, whatever. The simple fact is
that there is MUCH more than just Windows stored within this directory
and it's sub-directories. You've got the registry and all that it
contains, you've got application-installed dll's, you've got various
hardware drivers, you've got registration numbers, and you've got a
myriad of ini files and various other config data stored within.
Reinstalling Windows doesn't put ANY of these things back in place for
you.

No amount of careful planning is going to overcome the shock and
disappointment a novice is going to experience when he/she realizes that
they've been given an answer that causes far more problems than it
purports to fix. In short, I have never considered using deltree to wipe
out the Windows directory, and I can't imagine a situation where I would
personally find it acceptable. By extension, when I'm giving advice to
others, I will never ask them to do something that I am not willing to
do myself, especially when I know how much grief it will cause them.

All of that aside, some of the list regulars seem to be saying that
because they have done this and have successfully recovered from it,
then it should be ok to tell others to do it, as well. Naturally, I
disagree with that. A large percentage of the people reading this list
don't have the same level of knowledge as the experts here. I'm not
saying we need to 'dumb down' our advice, but as advice-givers, we
should collectively consider the audience and be careful to portray an
accurate scenario of what they can expect if/when they take the advice
offered here.

In the past, when I've seen the advice to use deltree to wipe out the
Windows directory, it's usually followed by the obvious line, "Then
reload Windows." Sometimes, it's even followed by the also-obvious line,
"You may have to reload some apps and reset some configs." What isn't
usually mentioned, however, is that the user is usually left with a
total mess of a hard drive, and they then face the daunting task of
reinstalling MOST of their apps, and resetting MOST of their configs,
and I'd be willing to bet that most people spend days or even weeks
trying to get things back the way they want them. Without telling them
that up front, I think we do them a great disservice.

BTW, I don't think it has anything to do with disk fragmentation. That's
a separate issue that can be handled or ignored, as the user sees fit.
Either way, it causes no real problems in most cases.

Sorry to be so long winded, but someone asked why a few of us would
never give this advice, and I thought it deserved to be explored in
detail.

Jeff Delzer

Jim Meagher wrote:

> I agree.  On certain occasions, I use DELTREE to remove the windows
> directory  in preparation for a REINSTALL.  I would add that deltree'ing
> application folders should ONLY be done in conjuction with the windows
> folder; otherwise, there is too much junk left over.
>
> I wonder if Jun would share with us his reasons for saying NEVER use
> deltree?
>
> Jim Meagher

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html