From:
George&Mary Skokan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 May 2005 06:43:11 -0700
I am trying to help a couple add a Compaq Armada M700 laptop to their
home to share an internet connection.  The current setup is a broadband
connection to a linksys router (address 192.168.1.1) that has an
ethernet cable to a desktop (working correctly for some time), and
ethernet cable to an Airlink 411w wireless access point (address
192.168.1.2) that supplies the signal to another desktop(with a wireless
card) in a remote location of the house (also working correctly for some
time)  These two computers are not networked together, just sharing the
internet connection.  They both are running Windows XP.  I installed the
wireless card in the desktop & had no problems at all with the automatic
settings in XP.   The problem is trying to get the laptop to connect to
the internet.  It has a pcmia card (belkin wireless G) and and intel
pro/100 ethernet card (internal) and is running Win98se.  The wireless
card connects to the access point and the lights flash showing initial
activity, but when I try to access the internet it says it can't find
the home page (google).  The card is set up to obtain an address
automatically.  I also cannot connect to the setup screen (address
192.168.1.2) unless I give the card an address like 192.168.1.33.  Then
I can see constant activity when I am bringing up the setup screen, but
still no internet access.  I have tried the internal ethernet card, and
it acts the same way, so I am assuming I have made some sort of stupid
mistake on the laptop that doesn't allow them internet access, but
access only to the router.  Does this make sense?  Is there an
additional step or setting that Win 98se requires?  I have used the
Internet connection Wizard, but it tells me there is no connection
available (even though I can see the lights)  I am not a networking
expert(far from it).  Any assistance will be appreciated.  Thanks

George

--
George&Mary Skokan (gamfrog at myrealbox dot com)