From:
Herbert Graf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Apr 1999 13:59:28 -0400
> I have a couple of questions regarding Cpus and chipsets.
>
> 1) What chipset fits the Celeron CPUs? Is it slot 1 or A or or
> 370. And, which
> motherboards can you use with this chip.

        I believe you have chipset and socket mixed up, although they are closely
related. The chipset are the actual main chips on the MB that determine what
features you've got, what socket you have is theoretically independant but
often is dependant on your chipset. For example, the 440FX chipset first
came on boards with a socket 8, but later came with slot 1. In your case,
chipset isn't that important, socket or slot is. The celeron now comes in
two flavours, slot one (highly recommended) and socket 370 (not
recommended). Slot A is for the upcoming AMD chip and is not compatible with
intel CPUs. There are many boards out there with slot 1 on board, and mostly
all will support the celeron, although the manufacturer might say they
don't. The most popular chipset out there is the BX, although the LX is
still out there alot. The socket 370 usually is found with a chipset like
the BX but crippled in a few ways to reduce cost, I think it lacks things
like 100MHZ support.

> 2) Will the K7 be a socket 7 chip? If not, what will it be and what
> motherboard will handle it?

        I can't remember whether it is the K7 that will need slot A or not. I think
that the K7 is a slot A processor, and therefore will not work on any slot 1
or socket 7 board. If you want more information I recommend the following
two sites: http://www.anantech.com and http://www.tomshardware.com. TTYL

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                        Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>