From:
Bill Cohane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Nov 2001 19:47:20 -0500
At 21:50 11/02/01, David Gordon wrote:
>1. When running a program I have that splits tiff files, when it reaches
>a certain point, about 7000 files, it slows down to a crawl. It goes
>from 22ppm to about 1 ppm to eventually about 1 page every 2 minutes.
>
>2. The problem seems to manifest itself when playing Freecell also. It
>plays about 4-5 games well, then the cards seems to get "jumpy". After
>about 6 games, even clicking on a card to move it causes about a 1-2
>second delay. If I continue to play it just gets worse.
>
>I downloaded new video drivers. I upped my RAM to 512 meg. I downloaded
>diagnostics from Western Digital and found no problems with the hard
>drive according to the test they have.

Hi David

You're running Win98 right?

Have you tried running the "Resource Meter" applet? (It shows as an
icon in the tray when it's running.) See how low the resources have
gone when you get these slowdowns. Resource meter will warn you by
changing the color of the tray icon when resources become critically
low. Click on the tray icon for numerical values (in percentages).

These resources are not actual physical memory but are specific kinds
of data structures or memory objects such as windows and fonts that
are loaded on behalf of applications. The number of these resources
available is limited by the fact that Win9X attempts to be backward
compatible with (and may still contain code from) 16-bit Windows 3.x.

Too many applications fail to notify Windows when they are done using
these resources and they may not get freed up until you reboot. You
may want to switch to an operating system like Windows NT, 2000, or
XP to get around this problem.

Regards,
Bill