From:
Doug Simmons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Apr 1999 11:06:19 -0400
At 10:12 PM 4/19/99 , bdecker wrote:
> [...]

On a friend's machine, I have had mixed success with restoring dried out
cartridges.  The trick is to get the ink flowing and then keep ink in the
cartridge.  On the MIS site you probably saw the trick of using zip-lock
bags to keep empty cartridges from drying out. The other thing is that I
now re-fill cartridges when they get less than 1/4 full.  I have refilled
and re-used a black cartridge 15-20 times that way.

I have used two different methods to unclog the nozzles.

The easiest is to use white board cleaner!!  This is a spray bottle that
has some sort of solvent (I use Sanford Expo brand). *CAUTION* It is
combustible. Just spray it on the nozzle openings and wipe gently with a
tissue or napkin.  Fill the cartridge with a little ink and try it.  If it
doesn't print, then spray and wipe again.

The drastic method is to heat water to boiling, remove from heat and then
stick the nozzle end of the cartridge in the water for a minute or so, wipe
the nozzles with tissue, and repeat until all the junk is off.

I usually make the cartridges that I have unclogged print a lot just after
unclogging. I have a Word document with big color bars that I call up and
then print a couple of copies of it. Seems that the ink flow is the best
thing to keep the nozzles clear.

HTH

Doug Simmons

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's: