From:
Tom Mayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 May 2004 12:07:15 -0700
I recently upgraded to a 'g' wireless router and a 'g' card for a notebook.
I left 2 other remote computers as 'b'. The quality of the connection on the
notebook increased from "low" to "good" in what is the weakest place it is
used and increased from "good" to "excellent" in the strongest place it is
used. The throughput increased from 11mbs to 55mbs at both locations. The 2
remote computers remained the same except that it seems that they
consistently maintain the connection whereas the connection used to
sometimes be 'not available'. I had and still do use a directional antennae
and signal booster with the router plus recently use 128 bit encryption.
From what I've read, the 128 bit encryption reduces the effectiveness of the
'b' but not the 'g'. I really can't say one way or another because I never
used encryption with the 'b'.

The 'g' router is a Linksys which replaced a 'b' Linksys. The signal booster
is a Linksys. The notebook card is an SMC which replaced a Linksys. One
remote computer uses a USB Linksys adapter. The other remote computer uses a
USB GigaFast adapter. The primary computer is hard wired to the router.

Hope this helps in your consideration.

Tom Mayer