From:
Jan Lambert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Apr 2000 16:08:47 -0700
In <[log in to unmask]>, on 04/13/00
   at 08:36 AM, Kathleen LaValley <[log in to unmask]> said:

>Hello..

>My parents have an HP Pavillion-purchased approximately end of
>1995.  It
> has not been upgraded in anyway, so all is stock equipment.  I
>would like to get them a larger hard drive as a gift.  I am
>trying to think here:  Is there any reason that anyone can give
>me as to why I could nt put a new HD in the system as a Master
>and install Windows 98 on it? Is there a possible conflict with
>the current mother board or other devices
> that could come up?

>Your advise/opinions as always will be appreciated!

>Thank you,

>Kathleen LaValley

Hi Kathleen:

A couple of issues come to mind:

1) The system BIOS may not support a large harddrive. Many older
BIOSes have an upper limit that they can successfully access.
(2.1GB is common)

2) The power supply is getting a little long in the tooth. If the
Pavillion is an AT type machine, the supply is probably nearing
the end of life, and the extra load from another drive will not
help.

3) Windoze 98 is kind of a resource pig. You might look around the
web for some recommended configurations, but 64M bytes, and a
reasonably fast pentium are a likely minimum.

Good Luck,
jan lambert