From:
Len Warner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Feb 1999 03:10:43 +0000
On Mon, 1 Feb 1999 BILL RAY <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>I don't know if this is a help, but here goes.
>A FAT16 cannot accommodate a hard drive larger than 1gig.

Sorry, but that's not true.
I have a "spare" 4GB hard disk which I can happily format as
 2GB primary + 2GB extended or as
 4GB extended with logical drives up to 2GB each
 - all in FAT16, tried and tested.

Microsoft Knowledgebase article Q69912 "MS-DOS Partitioning Summary"
is a fairly detailed summary of the partition types and sizes
available in MS-DOS 2.x onwards and Windows 95/98.

2GB partition sizes have been possible since MS-DOS 4.0 - it's just
that most of us couldn't _afford_ them until Win95 OSR2 or later :-)

>But be aware that a FAT16 drive saves files in 32K clusters,
>which wastes a LOT of storage.

It's primary partition size or (extended partition) logical drive size
that matters, not the disk size. If you insist on having the FAT16 maximum 2GB
all in one lump, you would be using _64K_ clusters, but you could create
one or more sub-512MB partitions/logical drives with 16K clusters.

Len Warner <[log in to unmask]> http://easyweb.easynet.co.uk/~len/ ICQ:10120933

             to be posted to: [log in to unmask]