From:
Bill Cohane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 May 1998 23:35:00 -0400
At 20:19 09-05-98 -0500, Harold E. Schumacher, Jr. wrote:
>Originally had a WD 1.2GB drive as master and a
>little 80MB as slave for files only.  I bought a WD 3.2GB to replace
>the 1.2GB and used DriveCopy to copy all applications and everything
>else from one to the other.  After a successful copy, I then put
>back in my little 80MB as slave once again...somewhere in the middle
>of the whole process, something happened to cause my system to go to
>MS-DOS Compatibility Mode.  Windows Help says that...
>"Windows was unable to identify a real-mode driver or
>memory-resident program loaded in your Config.sys or Autoexec.bat
>file."
>Now, I went to the Config.sys and REM'd out the only 2 lines in
>there, but it didn't do any good.

First thing to try is to check for the string "NOIDE" in the registry.
If this gets put there for any reason, after fixing the reason, you still
have to manually remove this NOIDE registry entry.

First use the Emergency Recovery Utility (ERU) to back up your registry.
ERU is on the Win95 CDROM or you can download it from
<http://www.microsoft.com/windows95/info/otherutils.htm>. Be sure you can
use ERD (Emergency Recovery Disk) to restore the registry saved with ERU.
See <http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q139/4/37.asp>

Then open REGEDIT from the Start, Run menu. Do a search for the string
NOIDE. (From the REGEDIT menu bar, use Edit, Find.) If you find a NOIDE,
delete it. Then exit REGEDIT and reboot.

This is explained in the Knowledge Base article
"MS-DOS Compatibility Mode Problems with PCI-IDE Controllers" at
<http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q151/9/11.asp>.
I quote:

"Note that you should make a backup copy of the registry files
(System.dat and User.dat) before you edit the registry.

"To cause Windows to attempt to reinitialize the protected-mode IDE
driver, remove the NOIDE entry from the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CURRENTCONTROLSET\SERVICES\VXD\IOS

"After you update the registry, restart Windows. Windows will then attempt
to initialize the protected-mode driver for the controller. If no problems
are encountered, the file system and virtual memory will operate in 32-bit
mode, and Device Manager will not display an exclamation point in a yellow
circle for the IDE channels.

"If the protected-mode driver is not initialized properly, an error message
will be displayed and the NOIDE registry entry will be re-created. Windows
will use the MS-DOS compatibility mode file system the next time you start
the computer." In that case, see the Knowledge Base article
"Troubleshooting MS-DOS Compatibility Mode on Hard Disks" at
<http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q130/1/79.asp>

Regards,
Bill