From:
Gordon McFarland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Oct 2000 09:49:15 -0500
Just FYI
We have a small network setup in the basement of one of our Club members'
house.
We use Windows SE to share the phone line for the four computers we have
hooked up via a small HUB.
When we shared our printers.
The HP697 shared easily. Also our Laser HP1100 shared easily.

BUT the 722 that we have, did give us some trouble.

The HP 722 Driver was a special upgrade which we had downloaded from the
internet. The Executable file would install the printer but would not lend
itself available to using the INF file for networking or HaveDisk
availability.

Also the HP 722 didn't store all its files in places on the "Server
Computer" where the Client machine was expecting to find it. Thus not being
able pull the Printer files across the Network.

So in one case we would be on the "Server" where the HP 722 was at and find
the location of needed file. So that when the client upon not finding the
file (Details would show name of file). We would then use the "Clients"
Browse to location and find the file on "Server Computer".
We did that for several files to pull all needed items across.

Later, on another Computer "Client" we decided to first install the HP 722
locally, then just go to Printer Properties and in Details "Print to the
following port" …made it the Universal Naming of shared printer.

Hope this helps
TTYL
Gordon

YOU WROTE
Hello,

I am having difficulty setting up my 2-computer network to be able to use
my single printer. My network seems otherwise to function just fine: I can
see each computer under Network Neighborhood, I can ping each computer, I
can share my cable modem from each computer (2 IPs), I can share files
between the 2 computers. But I can't seem to get the 2nd  computer to use
the printer that is attached to the LPT1 port of the first.

Setup: computer A is a Dell desktop PC, Win 98, HP DeskJet 722c inkjet
printer plugged into LPT1. Computer B is a Dell Latitude laptop, Win 98SE.
Both are plugged into a Linksys Ethernet 5 port hub, as is my cable modem.
I have Client for Microsoft Windows installed, and I have the service
Support for file and printer sharing enabled. I do NOT have file and
printer sharing on TCP/IP (for security reasons), but both computers have
NetBEUI installed and file and printer sharing is attached to NetBEUI on
both computers.

I have set up the DeskJet as a shareable printer under Computer A. When I
go to add a networked printer under Computer B, I can see the printer, I
can specify the path, I can install the drivers etc, but when I go to test
printer communication between the two, I get an instant error message that
there is no communication between them.

No mater what I have tried, I cannot get Computer B to talk to the printer.
Computer A continues to see it just fine as it always did, so it is not a
printer problem per se.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Michael

                    Digest mode - visit our web site: