From:
Jim Barber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Oct 2000 18:43:36 -0400
I'm trying to upgrade my computer with a FIC VA503+ motherboard. When I do a clean install of win98, after the files are copied to the hard drive and windows tries to start for the first time I get the following error message...

Insufficient memory to initialize Windows. Quit one or more memory resident programs or remove unnecesary utilities in config.sys and autoexec.bat and restart your computer.

There are no config.sys & autoexec.bat files on the hard drive since I FDISK'ed drive and reformated it prior to installing win98.

I've pulled various card to get to a minimum configuration. Here it is:
FIC VA503+ motherboard
AMD K6-2 300MHz CPU (66MHz FSB)
Toshiba 64MB SDRAM (THMY648071BEG-10)-66MHz
Seagate ST38421 8.4G hardive
STB Velocity 128 4M PCI video card
HP 9110 CDR drive (which I've disconnected after transfering the files to the hard dirve)

The computer makes it through intial BIOS posting OK. It seems OK if I boot to DOS (I've been able to run a DOS program called BURNIN for 24 hours and it does not report any errors.)

I've tried every conceivable combination of BIOS configuration. I still get the insuffiecinet memory error message (or the computer does not boot properly.) I added a config.sys as follows; but, get the same error message:

CONFIG.SYS
device=c:\windows\himem.sys
device=c:\windows\emm386.exe noems
dos=high,umb

I've double checked the jumpers. I've tried moving the video card and memory sticks to all possible slots.

I've tried different types & manufactureers of memory (2 types of 66 MHz EDO SIMM memory & Hyundai PC100 SDRAM as well.)

I still get the same memory error message when windows loads (even when trying to go into safe mode.)

Prior to attemping this upgrade I had to do a clean install on my original PC with my win98 CD and it was OK.

I've gone to FIC's web site and followed their recommendations. Their tech support has not been helpful at all.

Any suggestions on what I should try next to get windows 98 to load properly?

Jim

      special "Free-After-Rebate" Software specials in conjunction
          with Beyond.com.   We have new offers all the time!!!
                      http://nospin.com/promotions