From:
Linda Denny <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Oct 2003 04:52:03 -0500
Hi.  I first just want to say thank you for all of your suggestions and offers of help with this issue.

I did set up each PC in my network for static IP addressing.  I made the connection fine, it just did not stay any longer than usually.  After a day, I put it back to DHCP.

I do have another NIC coming that I ordered for another PC I am working on, but it may get used in my machine if needed.

I just noticed that I am still up after the PC has sat dormant for five hours, HOO HOO!  I made two new changes tonight trying to narrow this down.  I disconnected the Win98 machine.  I added a different Win XP (now I have two WinXP Home in my network).  I thought maybe I could use them for comparisons in the setup/services/etc, but would like the Win9
8 machine back on (kids PC).

But, the other change I made, could be the one...but if it is, I'm embarassed.  I noticed that my router DHCP setting had the start address as ..0.1 and ending address as ..0.115 (with 115 being well above my networked PC assigned addresses).  But, I realized that maybe the start address should NOT be starting as low as the routers address.  I changed the start address to start with my first PC address that it is always automatically assigned and end at 254 (for the full range).  Could that be it?  That simple change, but something I just was not sure about when setting up this router?

Time will tell.

Thanks again for your suggestions!

Linda

                         PCBUILD's List Owners: