Date:
Sat, 22 Dec 2001 13:23:54 -0500
 Please help.... I am trying to understand PC Boot up process.  In my own
 very limited thinking, when I first boot up my computer during the day, I
 believe it's going through some sort of loading activities like... hardware
 and software, configurations, drivers, etc.  From the time I heard the
 startup beep (one beep) to the point where all the icons are shown on my
 desktop, takes approximately 75 seconds.  I thought this is too long for
the
 boot up?  Can someone please explain to me without being too technical of
 how this bootup process goes? What steps do computers take to load up
 hardware, drivers, software, etc.?

 (MS Office, FindFast,  etc., have been un-checked from my Startup list)  Is
 there a way to speed up the booting process?

 AMD 1.0GHz System, Windows 98 S/E, 256 MB memory, 30 Gig 7200 RPM W/D HD,
CD
 Player, CD burner, 2 USB ports, 10/100T NIC, 1S/1P ports, 56K modem, AGP
4.0
 video.  Norton Auto protect runs in background,as well as Norton's program
 scheduler.