From:
Don Hoyt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Dec 2001 19:34:13 -0500
I have a Presario 1625 laptop. It stopped reading the internal cd drive and two software gurus concluded that the drive is deadand I need some hardware expert advice. Since I don't travel too much, I decided to purchase a ``universal'' external cd drive which arrived with an SCSI card and appropriate software. Now I've discovered the 1625 has only an IDE controller. Finally, the question(s). Will the SCSI card work on its own or do I have to get an SCSI controller or some kind of adapter? Should the internal cd drive be physically removed or can it simply be disabled?I'm really at sea on this one and would appreciate any help you can offer.