From:
Drew Dunn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Apr 2004 14:47:28 -0700
Mick, generally speaking, there isn't a problem connecting wireless
equipment from different manufacturers together, but at least a couple
of manufacturers (DLink and US Robotics come to mind) use some
proprietary technology to run their links at higher speeds than the
specification allows.  The hitch, of course, is that you need to use
that manufacturer's hardware to get the extra performance - you can't
mix and match or you'll "only" get the specification's rated
performance.

Do try to match the specification if you are mixing manufacturers,
though...that is, try to not mix 802.11b and 802.11g, for instance.  You
probably won't have any problems, but it's best to not go looking for
trouble.

Drew Dunn
The NOSPIN Group