From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Mar 2003 19:33:38 -0800
It sounds like a thermal issue with the cabling. The drive heats up, the
connection expands, and backs off the connector. Then it cools down and
reseats. Try a new ribbon cable, and reseat or switch the PS cable.

Rode
The NOSPIN Group
http://freepctech.com

>I have a 5 year old PentiumII 350mhz on a chaintech 6btm motherboard with
>a tnt2ultra graphic card, 128mb ram and an 8.2gig Seagate hard drive.  The
>power supply contained a fan which has failed, as has the fan on the
>graphic card.  Presumably my problem relates to overheating, but the bios
>does not indicate this.  What's happening is that my hard drive sometimes
>just shuts down in the middle of normal usage.  Pressing reset sees the
>motherboard fail to detect the hard drive.  Pressing the on/off switch
>gets it working again.  This can happen after only 1 to 2 mins or after 1
>hour of use.  I have re-formatted the drive but it made no
>differerence.  Is it simply overheating or a hard drive problem?  Any
>advice appreciated.
>
>- Renfraus Budweiser

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com