From:
Gordon Tyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Jan 1999 16:00:27 -0700
Hi. I've just received an almost mint '92 486dx system that I want
to use to learn Linux as a lone OS on the machine. It has 4 MB RAM
& an 80 MB hd.

One problem: I want to replace the clock battery. I tried to remove
it but it is solidly in place between 2 prongs. Below it are 4
vertical gold pins. Can I assume these are for installation of a
new battery? Can someone advise me where I can get a replacement
(offlist if necessary). It is labelled 3/GP60k, 3.6 V  C2, 60mAh.
Do I have to remove the immovable old battery?

I am considering purchasing 8 x 4 MB RAM simms to replace the 4 x
1 MB RAM 30 pin simms. Does that seem like a wise move to bolster
performance? I know it isn't cheap.

I want to get a larger hd; is there a size limit, given that this
is a clone mb with an American Megatrends AMIBIOS from 12/92? I
think I need a minimum of 100 MB to use Linux GUI & I'd like to
order the maximum storage the bios will support.

Are there any other suggestions to optimize this old system that
is in excellent condition?

Thanks for your suggestions & help, as always!

Gordon Tyler___________________________Department of Psychiatry
out-pt group psychotherapy_______University of Alberta Hospital
[log in to unmask], Alberta, Canada

                            The NOSPIN Group