From:
Carroll Grigsby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 May 2004 00:56:57 -0400
On Saturday 15 May 2004 09:04 pm, Brad Feuerhelm wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm working on installing Mandrake 9.0 (Linux) on a computer.
> The existing video card seems to be not compatible with Mandrake.
> So I need some advice on a video card to get. The cheaper the better
> I just want to get Mandrake up and running. I'm a beginner with Linux.
>
> The computer is a home build which includes:
>
> Abit KT7a no raid.
> 1.13ghz AMD (Thunderbird)
> 266mhz FSB
> 512megs ram.
> PCI 6-Slots (4 Free)
> 1-AGP Slot (4x)
> 1-ISA slot (SB 16 Soundcard)
> 4-USB
> Video Card is a Diamond Stealth Video VRAM (2-meg) not compatible
> 3-com nic (10/100)
> 1-Seagate 60 gig (5400) (Linux)
> 1-Maxtor 27 gig (5400)
>
> Need more info let me know.
> I've tried several of the generic and named configs during setup and none
> will work.
> So I'm pretty sure the video card is not going to fly.
> Looking for just a basic video card for now that will for sure work.
>
> Thanks All
>
> Brad

Brad:
I recall reading on the Mandrake mail list that some folks have had
difficulties with Diamond Stealth cards, but I'm not sure if the problems
ever got sorted, or if the cards were simply replaced. My guess is that your
card is way short of memory. I expect that you'll need at least 4 mb. Be sure
to check your motherboard manual as to which AGP standard it supports. I know
that the KT7 supports both AGP 2 (3.3 v) and AGP 4 (1.5 v) cards.

The Mandrake hardware compatibility list is here:
http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/hardware.php3

You can access the Mandrake mailing list archives here:
[log in to unmask]" target="_blank">http:[log in to unmask]
[log in to unmask]" target="_blank">http:[log in to unmask]

HTH.

Regards,