From:
Mary Wolden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Apr 2000 02:16:32 -0500
From: andre chiasson :Sent: Saturday, April 01, 2000 4:39 PM
Subject: Re: [PCBUILD] How do I reactivate computer automatic shutdown?

> Hi Jun,
>
> The problem I have is when I decide to shutdown my computer, I select
START,
> SHUTDOWN, but the computer doesn't COMPLETELY stop. It shows "YOU CAN
SAFELY
> SHUDOWN YOUR COMPUTER NOW".  I have an ATX power supply, win98.
>
> As for the video driver, I will try it.
>
> Thank you for your help!
> Andre
>
> >andre chiasson wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I installed win98 on a computer.  Since then, when I close the
computer,
> > > get the message: "YOU CAN SAFELY SHUDOWN YOUR COMPUTER NOW".
> >

> > > Very strange because when win95 was installed, the computer would just
> > > shutdown automaticaly.  The computer has a ATX power supply.
> > > The motherboard is a P2B from ASUS.
> >
> >Can you give more details about the problem, I want to help you, but I
need
> >understand the problem.
> >

> > > Another problem I have is when I leave the computer unatended for a
long
> > > period.  The computer goes into sleep mode, but will NOT come out of
> >sleep
> > > mode when I move the mouse or press any key on the keyboard.  I have
> > > press ctrl + alt + del and boot again.  What could I do to change
this?

> >I would update video adapter driver first. This problem looks like caused
> >by a
> >bad video driver. you can try reference driver (depending on the video
> >chip).
> >I have seen same problems, update driver always solve the problems (for
> >me).
> >
> >Jun Qian

Andre,

There is a problem in Win98 also with shutting down,  check out this
Microsoft KB article to disable fast shutdown:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q196/0/08.asp

Also Norton Antivirus has also been known to cause this problem when
auto-detect is enabled.  See Symatec's support article:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/19987311083

Another item that can cause shutdown to hang is corrupted shutdown bitmaps,
or a corrupted exit sound file, but since you appear to have had this
problem since installing Win 98, this is probably not your problem.

If the video driver does not fix your suspend problems you might try some of
these Microsoft KB articles to see if any apply to your situation:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q195/5/64.ASP?LNG=ENG&SA=AL
LKB&FR=0: This article applies to motherboards with AGP graphics ports and
direct X.

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q231/7/72.ASP?LNG=ENG&SA=AL
LKB&FR=0: This article applies directly to the Asus P2B motherboard but the
second edition and BIOS version 1008.

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q193/4/73.asp: Windows 98
hangs when if it contains an IDE hard disk using DMA

Microsoft recommends a bios upgrade or driver upgrade to fix this problem.
They have a site that will help to diagnose the problem with APM:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/windows/tshoot/apm98/apmnowake1.asp

Hope one of these helps.

Mary Wolden

                     visit our download web page at: