From:
johnfarrow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Dec 1998 22:25:59 -0700
Eric wrote:

> >   I cam considering purchasing a Compaq Presario 5050.  It comes with
> >96megs of ram, 8 gig hd, win 98 and tons of software.  They have it
> >connected to a 333MHZ Celeron for only $679 at CompaqWorks.
> >
> >The one feature I am not sure about is the video card which is an ATI 3D
> >Rage LT Pro Graphics with 2 MB 100MHZ SyncGraphics video memory.
> >
> >Does anyone have any experience with this type card.  It seems like an
> >puny amount of video ram and it can only be upgraded to 4MB.
> >
> >Could it be that it uses some of the system ram to help offset the small
> >amount on the card?
> >
> >Thanks to those who respond
> >
> >John Farrow
>
> Merry Christmas.
>
> My Father just purchased the 5050 at a local retailer here in NJ.  It runs
> great for the price, but I have to say that it is slower than my Pentium 233
> MMX.  It may be due to the video, but I just think the Celeron 333 is a fairly
> slow chip.
>
> If it was me, I'd toss in $200 extra and go for a PII or an AMD K6 chip.
>
> When setting up the computer for him, I did not notice a setting to use system
> RAM for the video.  It could be there, I just didn't notice it and I went all
> through the BIOS.
>
> Eric

That's odd, Eric
   Not doubting your observation.  But I read in PC Mag that the Celeron
333MHZ was a little faster that the P-II 300.  Wonder if the video could
be slowing down your fathers system?  If it is indeed slower than a P-II
233, then you have probably changed my mind about the purchase.  Thank
You for the response.

John

             to be posted to: [log in to unmask]