From:
Stefan Schull <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Apr 2002 11:13:48 -0400
Well, that's how this message got to the 'net.  ;-)

But that is exactly it...  Any store bought Cable/DSL router should do the
job.  (I assume your provider uses PPPoE, you do if your using some
software called EnterNet to connect.)  Every hardware based router that
I've seen has a built in firewall and has a web-based configuration if you
need a fancy setup such as port forwarding.

If you have a spare PC laying around (Pentium class ~ 32 megs of RAM) and
can get ahold of two network cards, check out http://www.bbiagent.net --
it's a floppy based version of Linux that provides excellent Cable/DSL
routing and has great security tools.  (and if someone actually managed to
crack into your box somehow, they just got into a write protected 1.4 meg
filesystem ;-).

Stefan Schull

On Sun, 14 Apr 2002 11:35:35 -0400
The Stephensons <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I am helping a business figure out how to get a small network (5
> computers) to share a DSL connection.
>
> DSL modem ---> Router (with firewall and NAT) ---> switch --->
> individual computers

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml