Date:
Tue, 2 Apr 2002 11:50:02 -0800
Bob Wright wrote:
> I am looking for a quantitative report of the resolutions used by
> people browsing the web.  Recently, it was reported to me that
> 97% of the viewers to a semi-popular web site were using the
> resolution of 800x600.  Of course, by pure logic I know this is
> a statistic created out of thin air.
>
> If you know of a web site, manufacturer or other, that has any
> statistics on popularly used resolutions, please let me know.

There are a number of places to check for such data. I suspect that you
would probably have to check several sources and compare the results. You
could start with http://www.statmarket.com/ although it's not free.
http://www.thecounter.com/stats/2002/January/res.php ; another stat
gathering site, shows currently that 800x600 users make up about 52% while
1024x768 users make up 34%. The other 10% are using various other
resolutions. http://www.evolt.org/ , a site for web designers by web
designers, may also be a place to start. For some sites, 97% 800x600 may not
be too unreasonable. Keep in mind that most new computers are brought home
with 800x600 and are never changed by the user.

Daniel Medley

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com