From:
Peter Ekkerman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Mar 2012 15:58:19 -0500
Hi David,

Unfortunately you didn't specify the model of the Acer netbook so I can't tell you if the upgrade

makes sense or is feasible.

However ,if you decide to go ahead with this you'll need to do some homework.

First of all check if the netbook will accommodate Win 7 by running the upgrade advisor

http://windows.microsoft.com/upgradeadvisor

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=20

Netbooks are notorious for being underpowered and in a lot of cases can't handle the Aero theme.

That doesn't mean you can't run Win7. I've run Win7 on an old P4 2.4 GHz and 1 GB of Ram,

but it can't handle the Aero Theme very well. If you're ok with that ,fine.

Secondly, you'll need to check with Acer if Win 7 drivers are available for your model.

You didn't specify whether the Win7 upgrade CD (really it's a DVD) contains both, the 32 bit edition

as well as the 64 bit edition.

Depending on what you got and what Acer has ,will decide what you can use. Most likely 32 bit only.

1. " .......can I clone the old drive to the new and have it bebootable? "

Yes ,but why would you want to if you're planning to replace the 160 GB drive

with the 750 GB drive?

2. You gave your own answer in your last paragraph:

"It strikes me that possibly the easiest thing to do is install the new

drive, use my USB CD/DVD external drive and the Win7 disk to partition

the drive and install Win7, and then do a fresh Ubuntu install to the

remaining space. "

(As to Ubuntu you may also try to clone - see links below)

This is what I would do (and have done)

1. Install Win 7 on a newly created partition large enough to accommodate Win7 plus space for future apps,

using PartitionWizard  http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html  or similar.

To me 50 GB is plenty. Data is preferably kept on another partition or in a folder mounted as another drive.

Be aware of the fact that Win 7 upgrade "cannot be installed" on a bare drive -It's an upgrade to an existing install.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/how-to-install-windows-7-upgrade-onto-a-new/98007ee1-84d2-47d7-853e-47a5ac598a46  Read 2nd answer. That's a M$ answer of course.

But forget about that nonsense ,just follow the answer below:

To overcome that obstacle ,you have 3 choices:A. Install Win7 over an existing installation, even a minimal copy

or  B. Do a 2nd install of Win 7 or  C. use SLMGR  (Security License Manager after the 1st install) (see links below)

For choice B

Basics are like this: Boot up with the Win7 upgrade DVD.  Install Win7 to a prepared partition.

Do NOT enter the license key at this time. Let the install finish.

Reboot. Insert the DVD again (inside Win7) and NOW do the upgrade.

Select the same partition you installed on the 1st time. This time however insert the lic key when prompted.

It's all here : Initial post -amusing to say the least

 http://windowssecrets.com/top-story/microsoft-mucks-up-windows-7-licensing/

http://windowssecrets.com/top-story/clean-install-windows-7-from-the-upgrade-disc/

Some useful links

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows-7/windows-7-upgrade-scenarios-scenario-3-upgrade-a-netbook-from-windows-xp-to-windows-7

http://windowssecrets.com/top-story/use-any-version-of-windows-7-free-for-120-days/

http://thewichitacomputerguy.com/blog/how-quietly-run-slmgr-silently-vista-and-windows-7

http://forum.notebookreview.com/windows-os-software/406809-clarify-can-fresh-install-vista-windows-7-using-upgrade-2.html#post5198870  (post by st0nedpenguin)

After  Win 7 is running ,install EasyBCD  on it , for the bootmenu .    see links below.

I expect that initially you will have created the partition for Ubuntu.

You could use CloneZilla or an Ubuntu live CD and the dd command or any method you prefer to clone

Ubuntu from the 160 GB to the designated partition on the 750 GB HDD.

http://www.clonezilla.org/

http://www.arsgeek.com/2008/01/22/how-to-clone-your-bootable-ubuntu-install-to-another-drive/

I would advice to use EasyBCD to get your boot menu setup ,but if you want to use another method take the easiest one. I find EBCD works great in scenarios like this.

http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD/Ubuntu  Dual-Booting Ubuntu Linux and Windows 7/Windows Vista (with the Windows bootloader)

http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD/EasyBCD+Documentation+Home

http://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/

Peter E.