Date:
Sun, 1 May 2005 13:49:14 -0500
Hi Laurel,

I suspect that after that period of inactivity the power connector to the
hard drive is no longer making proper contact. With power not getting to the
drive, the BIOS doesn't "see" it. Removing the case cover and reseating
connectors is required so if you don't feel you can do this, perhaps you
have a friend close by who can. First, unplug the power and other
connections and place the case where you can easily work with it.

Your computer manual should have instructions for removing the cover and may
include illustrations. Once the cover is off, ground yourself by touching
the case prior to touching anything inside. Then locate where the power
connector connects to the hard drive. Simply disconnect and reconnect it
several times making sure it is fully seated on the final connection. While
you have the cover off, it would be a good idea to repeat the procedure for
all other power connections. In addition to the power cables, follow the
same procedure for all data cables on all drives, including where they
connect on the motherboard.

Also release the memory module(s) from its slot and reseat it 2-3 times to
insure it's making good contact.

This would be a good time to clean the inside of any "dust bunnies" that
have accumulated over time. Use compressed air or a vacuum cleaner designed
for this purpose (small places).

This is short and basic, if you need detailed instructions let us know. More
information on your computer would be helpful (make, model, etc.).

Sven Swanson, Sr.