From:
Earl Truss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 May 1998 12:43:18 -0500
I had a similar problem while living in Florida, but not as severe.  I
would find that I could install software from floppies, but when I tried to
use them some months later, the diskettes could not be read.  Because of
humidity problems, we used closet shelves made of vinyl-coated metal to
allow air to get in around the clothing to prevent mildew problems.  I
stored software boxes with floppies on these shelves.  Once I stopped doing
this, I did not seem to have as many problems but this was around the same
time I switched to buying software on CD-ROM so it may have been that.  I
never did find out exactly what caused this problem, but at the time I
blamed it on the salt in the air -- which caused problems like cars rusting
from the top down.  I never thought of the fungi problem.  I never had
problems with any other media such as video tape, but the place I worked
had mountains of nine-track tapes that would fail after being stored for a
while hanging from metal racks ... They had years of archives that were
probably useless but never tried to periodically recopy them to extend
their life.