From:
"S. Stubbs" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Jul 2000 16:05:37 -0500
I agree, I prefer not to use the Maxblast software. I just use FDisk, and Format from a win98 startup floppy for a new system.
Only thing good in the Maxblast software is in the advanced button you can make a drive image, and copy drives.
But I hear that Ghost is the best for cloning drives.
As far as the speed goes, the 7200 and 5400 spin rate will not show much difference to the normal user.
Also you know about the newer ATA66 drives, they will only work at that faster speed if
these conditions exist: ATA66 controller ribbon is used, and motherboard supports the ATA66 speed, and
I think there is one other condition,but I forgot it. But don't worry the drive is backwards compatible.
All specific conditions have to work or the drive will run at a normal ATA33 speed. I have read that even
this newer ATA66 is not really noticeable to normal user. I am planning to install one of these newer 7200rpm
ATA 66 drives into my PC, and I will use the fast controller ribbon, however I do know right now that my motherboard
does not support it, so I will be expecting the same ATA33 out of it.
The reason you probably think the newer large drive is slow, is that it takes much longer to defrag/scandisk.
It is much bigger!!! It will take a  long time if the drive is just one big partition.
good luck! All of my drives are Maxtor drives, and I have had good luck with them.
Sincerely,
Susan Stubbs