From:
Keith Gladstone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Aug 2000 20:20:35 +0100
I have just installed a new Maxtor 20.5 gig HD, I configured it as a slave
and was able to boot and then format the drive.  My first problem was that
windows would only format it to 8024Mb, I think this is a problem with Win95
only recognising drives to that size, but it isnt really a problem to me.
When I have subsequently tried to boot, throughout the BIOS setup the new
drive is recognised but when windows starts the drive is not there.
I have checked in Control Panel/System and the new drive is shown as Generic
IDE disk type 47 (The same as the existing C drive) but no drive letter is
assigned.  The drive letter start & finish buttons are greyed out and I
can't type a letter into them or the current drive letter assignment box.
What do I have to do to make the PC recognise the drive?  Why did the PC
originally recognise the disk, and then spit its' dummy out and ignore it?!

Any and all help gratefully accepted.
K. Gladstone

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org