From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Mar 1999 10:46:44 -0700
At 08:04 PM 3/25/99 , Harold E. Schumacher, Jr wrote:

>        A friend of mine has an Acer Extensa 366D laptop.  Their original
>intent was to delete some files off of the HD.  Well, I think
>somebody went too far and from what I can understand, they may have
>actually deleted the Windows directory (?).
>        Anyway, I thought I could help, but this is a little bit deeper
>than I thought!  When we plug it in and turn it on, you can hear the
>HD just a little and that is all that happens; no BIOS info, no CPU
>info, no memory info, no cursor, no nothing!.  Absolutely nothing!
>        We have a restore CD, but obviously we can't use it, because we
>can't get that far.  If necessary, after we ~do~ get it to boot up,
>reformatting and re-installing the OS will not cause any grief for
>them.
>        Suggestions on how to proceed?

This sounds like a hardware issue and not an issue of deleted files
from the hard drive.   Have you attempted to boot from a floppy boot
disk?   I would imagine that you cannot.

You need to check to see if the hard drive is making a good connection
into the system, maybe the ram module(s) are not properly seated or
it is low on power...

Even if they have removed the partition or formatted the hard drive, you
will be able to see the system post, (go through the CMOS settings).

If you are not accustom to working on a laptop/notebook computer you
may need to take this unit to a qualified repair person, as by their
very nature, all laptops/notebooks are proprietary and the smallest
issue with the hardware can lead to the symptoms you describe.

               Bob Wright
      The NOSPIN Group, Inc.
http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org

             to be posted to: [log in to unmask]