From:
Dale Mentzer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Jan 2002 18:24:01 -0500
On 20 Jan 02 at 0:29, [log in to unmask] wrote:

>>I can't find the cmos battery on the mother board. The board is about 4
>>years old with an AMD 166 cpu. I have looked all over the board thorougly
>>and can't see a battery anywhere, assuming it is a round, silver battery
>>about the size of a 10 cet piece. Is it likely to be a different type of
>>battery or somewhere else other than the mother board.

It sounds like your board may use one of the Dallas Semidconductor
Real Time Clock chips that has the battery internal to the chip
package. It is one of the large 24 or 28 pin DIP chips, much thicker
than a regular IC in the same pin package. Sometimes they are
socketed and easy to replace, and othertimes they are not and can
only be replaced by desoldering/soldering. See if you can identify
one of your chips with the Dallas name on it.

Regards,
Dale Mentzer

The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half
and put it back in your pocket.

    This mail written by a user of Arachne, the DOS Internet Client
                WWWWW World Wide Web Without Windows
          http://home.arachne.cz Arachne DOS Browser Home Page