From:
Paul Hachmeyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 May 2003 12:01:31 -0400
Thanks for the format /mbr info and suggestions.
The freepctech site mentions the /mbr switch, but no details
about it.
.
Just did a web search and came across this item on fdisk
/mbr:
FDISK /MBR is an undocumented Microsoft DOS command
available in
MS-DOS 5.0 and above. MBR is short for Master Boot Record.
When doing
FDISK /MBR it will reinstall the first 446 of 512 bytes of
information with zeroes effectively rewriting the executable
code and data strings that may currently be residing there.
The remainder of the 512 bytes is the boot settings which
tells the computer how to boot. These settings are left
alone.
.
.
When I discussed it with a coworker, he suggested using /mbr
(which I never heard of before) as a way to insure that no
viruses existed in the mbr.
Still doesn't explain why format stops, apparently with bad
sectors.  I was incorrect in my original email, I am
formatting fat32, not fat16 partitions.
The drives will not finish formatting, rendering them
unusable..
.
John Chin wrote:

> Paul:
>
> This method of rendering hard disk data unaccessible leaves artifacts.
> Using "fdisk /mbr" does not "wipe" the mbr, but instead re-copies a   > backup MBR to the boot sector. If your backup MBR contains portions of > your deleted partition table and old boot record, then there would be > a conflict vis-a-vis your new partition table.
>
> Moreover, this method only re-arranges the logical disk structure.
> Your data, at the sector level, still exists until overwritten by > recording new bits.
>
> A better method is to use a hardware-level sector zeroing utility such > as IBM's WIPE.COM. A link to this utility is on my old web site at:
>
>         http://www.digitalconcern.com/Students/bootfloppy.htm
>
> This is not a DOD-approved method either, but should suffice for your
> purposes. HTH.
.

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml