Date:
Sun, 13 Aug 2000 17:38:10 +1000
From: "Le Dong Phuong" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Sunday, August 13, 2000 12:29 AM
Subject: [PCBUILD] MB fried display cards

> I need urgent help.  My computer suddnely went crazy and refused to boot.
> It's a Celeron 266 on a Tomato BX mainboard.  The display card was a PC
> Partner Trident 9750 AGP 4M.  It has been up and running for nearly 2
years.
> Last week It stopped working.  All my efforts to reboot the poor thing
> failed.  No POST, nothing but the HDD LED lights continuously.
> I have believed that the AGP slot somehow has been damaged (poor contact.
> bent contacts...) and have grabbed a new PCI video card.  Put it in,
booted
> and nothing happened.  1 out of the 50 boot efforst I get through the POST
> and tyhat all.  Check the video processor on the card = very hot.  Puit
the
> AGP card into place and check = after not even 30 seconds it becomes so
hot.

> My questions:
> - What could be misfunctioning?  MB, video cards, bios, PS or whatever you
> could think of?
> - Could it be the MB (or PS) produced un-normal voltage for the AGP, PCI
> devices and has fried my video cards?
> - If the MB needed to be changed will a new MB with sound and video
on-board
> better? (I'm using mostly for typing and number crunching, no game or
> serious multimedia applications).

The problem could be either the mobo or Power supply or both. A bad power
supply could fire mobo and anything attached on it. I recommand to replace
both.

It is very possible if the PS can't provide normal voltage, at higher than
normal voltage, every components is in danger.

If you need a new mobo, and ask no game, onboard video and audio will do,
today's process power is overkilling normal office applications (if you have
enough RAMs), as long as there is no 3D involved.

Jun Qian