From:
William Closure <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Dec 2001 13:02:09 EST
The saga continues.  Discovered virus on my HP 8380 with online virus search.
 At the time, there were no apparent operational problems, more than I am use
to.  Few weeks later installed McAfee VirusScan, which located and removed
JS/Seeker.gen virus.  About the same time, was unable to surf the net, either
through AOL screen or IE.  Also, unable to get into Bluelight.com.  With
20/20 hindsight, I think the problem was with VirusScan, a suspicion
heightened by a list member who said that VirusScan and AOL don't get along.
In trying to fix problem, I replaced corrupted extrac32 and user.exe files.

One other thing worth mentioning:  After VirusScan was installed, when
booting up, I got some sort of message about inadequate memory, or some such
thing.  Hitting enter took me a little further, and I got a similar message.
Then the system came up, apparently normally, after hitting enter again.

Well, the cures continue to be worse than the disease.  In trying to fix the
inability to surf, I have gotten to the point that I cannot even get to
Windows, although I can get to a C:\prompt.  I tried c:\windows\system>
scanreg and got the following message:

"Not enough memory.
"There is no extended memory driver loaded on your computer.  Make sure you
have a HIMEM.SYS file on the disk from which you are starting your computer,
and then restart using "command prompt only" option (not 'safe mode, command
prompt only')  Depending on the location of the HIMEM.SYS file, you may need
to add a line such as DEVICE = A:\HIMEM.SYS or Device = C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM\.SYS
in the config.sys file on your boot drive."

Trying to start windows from windows directory, I got:
"HIMEM.SYS is missing.
"Make sure that the file in your Windows directory

I located Himem.sys file in Windows directory, copied it to BIOS backup disk
on the A drive, and back to Windows directory (size is 33,191), to no avail.

Do I have a corrupt Himem.sys file?  Do I need to put it someplace else?  Do
I need to tell the computer somehow to go looking for it?  If so, what do I
need to tell it, and how?  Do I need to copy it from somewhere else?  I have
an HP recovery disc, but not sure I can pull files off it.  Is it in CAB
files on C:\drive?  If so, how do I locate it?  It seems I am so close, but
so far.  Keeping in mind that I am in way over my head here, and I am giving
this information based on scribbled notes and a memory prone to senior
moments, am I on the right track?  Please be gentle!

William Closure

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com