From:
Lanny Potts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Dec 2008 10:55:35 -0500
Yes!  Thank you *very* much.  Bummed about power supply cost but I'm still
ahead of the game (as compared to buying a new PC).  I'll put the 1G's in
slot pairs "1" and the 256k's in slot pairs "2".  Machine has NO video card
so I'm not sure if ATI or NVIDEA matters, although I recall at the time of
purchase (4 years ago) that you could upgrade on the Gateway website to an
NVIDEA card for their machines, thus, I'm guessing that the NVIDEA might be
a better match (although it's really just a guess).

With a 19" LCD screen (no TV tuner, no DVI, no HD, etc.) I'm not sure the
higher end video card will make that much of a difference, except for the
memory buffer on the card.  Since my current PC isn't all that fast, it
seems that perhaps the 7200GS (smaller and slower) will work as a better
match than the 9600GSO (where I might have compatability issues, but again,
that's just a wild guess).

Off to Digilink or Newegg (I can't believe how overpriced Best Buy is on all
this stuff).
again, many thanks (my daughter is excited and is using some Christmas money
to pay for upgrades, pretty neat...).
lp

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml